Preliminary Oral Exams (Prelims)
Forms must be submitted at least four weeks prior to Prelims directly to the Graduate Studies Coordinator.
Form #1: Requirement Completion Certificate:
Email the Graduate Studies Coordinator requesting a Requirement Completion Checklist, complete it and return it to her. She will review the checklist and provide you with the Requirement Completion Certificate once all of your requirements are complete. This includes C-Papers and C-Exams.
Enter all requested information. Enter “not applicable” in the section on language examinations. Your committee chair does not sign this form. Please be sure to double check each committee member's academic rank and list the most up to date rank on the form. The Graduate Studies Coordinator will obtain approval from the Vice Chair before submitting the form to the Graduate Division for processing. This form MUST be approved by the Grad Division before you can sit for your exam.
Please print this SAMPLE announcement and use it as a guide and accurately list your committee members. Completed announcements will be posted one week prior to your exam once all requirements have been completed and verified and your committee has been officially approved by the Graduate Division.
- You must have approval from your committee chair or co-chairs before you can contact your committee members to schedule your exam.
- Be sure to reserve Franz 3463 with the Graduate Studies Coordinator at least 4 weeks in advance of your prelim exam. If the room is already booked, she will work with you to find another room.
- Reserve a digital projector for your exam in advance. You can make this reservation with the IT Dept. The Graduate Studies Coordinator will not make this reservation for you.
- The Graduate Studies Coordinator will prepare the required form for your exam. Once your exam is completed, she will deliver the form to the Graduate Division. The day that the form is submitted to the Graduate Division is the official day that you advance to candidacy.
- Providing refreshments for your exam is not an obligation, but students may wish to supply some modest snacks and coffee is provided by the department. Consider using a buddy system, where a friend agrees to assist you by preparing snacks for your exam so you can concentrate on your presentation.
- Prelim Exams are closed and only the student and committee members are permitted to be in the exam room. Final Oral Exams are open but if you are planning on having guests attend your Final Oral Exam, be sure to let your committee members know when you are asking them to serve on your committee. They should be properly prepared in advance for both your Prelim Exam and your Final Oral Exam.
- You will be charged a fee for advancing to candidacy. As of Fall quarter 2012, the total fee was $90. Be sure to watch you Bruin Bill account as this charge will confirm that your paperwork has gone through and been processed by the Graduate Division.
- Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA - See chapter on Doctoral Committee Regulations