Cognitive Science Major for Transfer Students
All of the following Procedures and Requirements will be strictly enforced:
- A C or better is required in each preparation course. All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- Repetition of any preparation course more than once results in automatic denial of admission to the major.
- Repetition of more than any two preparation courses results in automatic denial of admission to the major.
- In addition to the above, transfer students who entered UCLA as a major other than Pre-Cognitive Science must complete all prep courses by the end of the summer following a student's 1st year at UCLA with a 2.5 prep GPA.
Students who fail to meet any of these preparation requirements will be changed from Pre-Cognitive Science to Undeclared.
|PREPARATION COURSES FOR THE COGNITIVE SCIENCE MAJOR|
|Life Sciences 7A or 15* or Physiological Science 3|
Mathematics 31A & 31B
|Philosophy 7 or 8 or 9 or 23 or 31|
|Physics 1A or 5A or 10* or 11* or Chemistry 2* or 14A or 17 or 20A or Linguistics 1 or 20*|
|Program in Computing 10A|
|Two courses from: Program in Computing 10B or 10C or 15 or16 or 20A or 30 or 40A or 60 or Psychology 20A or 20B|
Suggestions for preparation work: Students should take the Program in Computing courses and Psych 85 as soon as possible. Transfers should plan to complete all of the preparation courses by the end of their first year at UCLA.
**Must be declared Pre-Cognitive Science to enroll.
Cognitive Science Major Requirements
To declare major standing, students must first complete all of the preparation courses (all grades assigned) and meet all of the requirements listed above. Students must declare the Cognitive Science major in the Psychology Advising Office in 2812 Life Sciences Building. An overall grade point average of 2.00 (C) is required in the upper division major courses. The Core, Laboratory, and Elective courses must be taken for a letter grade.
|THREE (3) CORE COURSES|
|Select three courses, one from each box:|
|Psychology 115*||Psychology 120A or 120B||One course from: Psychology 124A-K|
* Psych M117A & M117B & M117C will count in lieu of Psych 115 and two Cognitive Science Electives. Students will not receive any Cognitive Science elective credit unless all three classes have been completed.
|ONE (1) LABORATORY COURSE|
|Select one course:|
|Psychology 111, 116, 121, 186A, 186B, 186C, 186D or Computer Science 161*|
|FOUR (4) ELECTIVE COURSES*|
|Select four courses from the following list:|
|Anthropology 124Q, 136A, M150|
|Communication 118, 119, 126, M127, 129|
|Computer Science 111-CM186|
|Music Industry M103|
|Neuroscience 102, M145, C177, 180, 181, 182|
|Psychology 110, 111, 112A-D, 115, 116, M117J, 118, 119A-M119X, 120A, 120B, 121, 124A-K, 130, 133B, 133E, 135, 137G, 142H, 160, 161, M166, 187A, 186 A-D, 191CH**|
|Statistics 100A, 100B, 100C, 101B, 101C|
*Please verify your eligibility to enroll in these courses and confirm you have taken the necessary prerequisite courses. This information can be found in the Schedule of Classes.
**Prior approval by the Psychology Advising Office is required. If 191CH is used as an elective, it cannot be used towards the Fieldwork/Research requirement as well.
|TWO (2) FIELDWORK/RESEARCH COURSES|
|Two quarters of fieldwork and/or research in cognitive science (Psych 195B and/or Psych 196B).|
Fieldwork and research may only be taken on a P/NP basis. With prior approval of the Psych Advising Office, students can also use independent study (Psych 199 or 191CH) with a cognitive science professor toward this requirement.