The Undergraduate Council of the UCLA Academic Senate voted to suspend admissions to the Cognitive Science minor effective Fall Quarter 2021. Students currently in the minor or admitted prior to Fall 2021 and pursuing the minor are not affected by the admissions suspension.
The Cognitive Science Minor, open to all UCLA students other than Cognitive Science Majors, is designed to introduce students to cognitive science topics as addressed in a number of different disciplines—such as biology, computer science, engineering, linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, and psychology—while also allowing students to pursue a more in-depth study within specific areas of cognitive science of their own choosing.
The minor consists of two parts:
- Three courses to fulfill the Background Requirement.
- Students must complete five total upper division courses from the three clusters, with no more than three courses from any particular cluster.
|THREE (3) BACKGROUND COURSES|
|Select three courses, one from each box:|
|Linguistics 1 or Linguistics 20 or Psychology 15 or Psychology 100B|
|PIC 10A or Psychology 20A|
- All minor courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- An overall grade point average of 2.00 (C) is required in the Cognitive Science Minor courses.
- No more than two courses may be applied toward both your major and the Cognitive Science Minor.
- A minimum of 20 units applied toward the minor requirements must be in addition to units applied toward major requirements or another minor.
- The minor will be indicated on your transcript and diploma after you petition and complete all requirements.
- All three Background Requirement courses must be completed by the end of the summer quarter after a student’s 3rd year (for transfer students, this will be the summer after the 1st year at UCLA).
- After you have completed at least two of the courses from the Background Requirements, you may petition to add the Cognitive Science Minor by requesting a pink petition via email to the Psychology Undergraduate Advising Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Upper Division Course Listings for Each Cluster
Students must complete five total courses from the following three clusters, with no more than three courses from any particular cluster:
|Biological Basis of cognition Cluster|
|Music Industry M103|
|Neuroscience 102, M145, C177, 180, 181, 182|
|Psychology 110, 112E, 115, 116A-B, M117C, 119C, 119F, M119L, M119N, 137A, 137G, 161, M166|
|Human Cognition Cluster|
|Anthropology 124Q, 136A|
|Psychology 120A, 120B, 121, 124A-K, 133B, 133C, 133E, 186A-D|
|Mind and Language Cluster|
|Communication 118, 119, 126, M127|
|Linguistics 120A, 120B, 120C, 130, 132, C135, 185A|
|Philosophy 124, 125, 126, C127A, C127B, 129, 170, 172|
Please verify your eligibility to enroll in these courses and confirm you have taken the necessary prerequisite courses. This information can be found in the Schedule of Classes.