The UCLA Psychology Research Opportunity Programs (PROPS) is an excellent opportunity for undergraduates to begin their research careers and to acquire the needed experience for pursuing advanced studies in Psychology. PROPS provides a stipend (up to $2,500*) to historically underrepresented students or those with a demonstrated financial need to support them while they work in research labs of UCLA Psychology faculty during the Winter and Spring Quarters of each year. During this period, recipients will be required to attend weekly seminars (Psych 184A/184B, 2 units per quarter) covering topics such as graduate school, careers in academia, and research opportunities in various fields of psychology. Students will be involved in research practica, attend graduate school preparation seminars, receive GRE information, present at local research conferences, and receive guidance in the completion of graduate school applications. Prior research experience is not required.
- Students must attend weekly seminars on Wednesdays from 9:00-10:30am during both Winter and Spring Quarters. Attendance is mandatory.
- Students will be required to obtain a Psychology Department faculty sponsor who will be available during Winter and Spring quarter.
- Students must be able to devote 10 hours a week to research.
- Students must complete all work assigned by their research mentors.
- Students must complete all PROPS assignments in a timely manner.
- Students must be prepared to present their research in a paper and poster format, as well as give a 10-minute presentation on their research.
- PROPS is open to juniors and seniors whose major is Psychology, Psychobiology, or Cognitive Science (including the three pre-majors).
- Although prior research experience is not required, students must identify an area of research interest.
- Minimum 3.0 UCLA GPA (3.2 or higher GPA in Psychology courses preferred).
- Students should have successfully completed Psychology 100B, and at least one upper division Psychology course, prior to the start of the program. Preference will be given to students who have attended UCLA for at least one year.
- This program is open to all underrepresented students (i.e. students who have demonstrated financial need, are first generation college students, member of an underrepresented minority in graduate education).
To Apply to PROPS
- We recommend that you attend one of the informational meetings listed below which will be held on Zoom. At the meeting, you will have the opportunity to find out more about PROPS and ask questions.
- Thurs, Oct 15: 1:30pm. Zoom link https://ucla.zoom.us/j/92420049542?pwd=QXVWbEovbWxBWG1DVnlGL1FPc3Z5dz09
- Tues, Oct. 20: 10:00am. Zoom link https://ucla.zoom.us/j/92248053793?pwd=czVBbkdydXhIdmxXa0FHMDRJMG5vQT09
- Check the Department of Psychology website to find areas of interest and faculty with whom you would be interested in working with. You can find faculty listings and research interests on the Psychology website.
- Submit an online application form. Applications are due by 12pm on Tuesday, Oct. 27. Finalists will be notified by mid-November if they are invited to interview for the program. Final decisions will be released by early December.
If you have any questions about program eligibility or the application, you may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* PROPS Scholarships are awarded through the UCLA Financial Aid Office. If you are receiving financial aid, your package may be adjusted to ensure you do not exceed your financial need or cost of attendance. Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you can accept this scholarship.