The UCLA Psychology Research Opportunity Programs (PROPS) is an excellent opportunity for undergraduates to begin their research careers and to acquire the needed experience for pursuing advanced studies in Psychology. PROPS provides a stipend (up to $2,000) to historically underrepresented students or those with a demonstrated financial need to support them while they work in research labs of UCLA Psychology faculty during the Winter and Spring Quarters of each year. During this period, recipients will be required to attend weekly seminars (Psych 184A/184B, 2 units per quarter) covering topics such as graduate school, careers in academia, and research opportunities in various fields of psychology. Students will be involved in research practica, attend graduate school preparation seminars, receive GRE information, present at local research conferences, and receive guidance in the completion of graduate school applications. Prior research experience is not required.
- Students must attend weekly seminars on Wednesdays from 9:00-10:30am during both Winter and Spring Quarters. Attendance is mandatory.
- Students will be required to obtain a faculty sponsor who will be available during Winter and Spring quarter.
- Students must be able to devote 8 - 10 hours a week to research.
- Students must complete all work assigned by their research mentors.
- Students must complete all PROPS assignments in a timely manner.
- Students must be prepared to present their research in a paper and poster format, as well as give a 10-minute presentation on their research.
- PROPS is open to sophomores, juniors and seniors whose major is Psychology,Psychobiology, or Cognitive Science (including the three pre-majors).
- Although prior research experience is not required, students must identify an area of research interest.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.7 at UCLA and a GPA of 3.0 in the major is required.
- Students should have successfully completed introductory psychology, statistics (Psychology 100A), research methods (Psychology 100B), and at least one upper division Psychology course at UCLA or at another UC. Preference will be given to students who have attended UCLA for at least one year.
- This program is open to all underrepresented students (i.e. students who have demonstrated financial need, are first generation college students, member of an underrepresented minority in graduate education).
To Apply to PROPS
- We recommend that you attend one of the informational meetings held in October of each year. At the meeting, you will have the opportunity to find out more about PROPS. You DO NOT have to attend an informational session to be eligible to apply.
- Check the Department of Psychology website (www.psych.ucla.edu/faculty) to find areas of interest and faculty with whom you would be interested in working with. You may want to begin by looking under the faculty listings or Psychology Research Assistantship listings (www.psych.ucla.edu/undergraduate/research).
- The application deadline for the 2017 program has passed. Applications for the Winter/Spring 2018 program will be available Early Fall 17 Quarter. Please check back at that time.
If you have any questions about program eligibility or the application, please contact us at email@example.com.