The UCLA Psychology Research Opportunity Programs (PROPS) is an excellent opportunity for undergraduates to begin their research careers and to acquire the needed experience for pursuing advanced studies in Psychology. PROPS provides a stipend (up to $2,500) to historically underrepresented students or those with a demonstrated financial need to support them while they work in research labs of UCLA Psychology faculty during the Winter and Spring Quarters of each year. During this period, recipients will be required to attend weekly seminars (Psych 184A/184B, 2 units per quarter) covering topics such as graduate school, careers in academia, and research opportunities in various fields of psychology. Students will be involved in research practica, attend graduate school preparation seminars, receive GRE information, present at local research conferences, and receive guidance in the completion of graduate school applications. Prior research experience is not required.
- Students must attend weekly seminars on Wednesdays from 9:00-10:30am during both Winter and Spring Quarters. Attendance is mandatory.
- Students will be required to obtain a faculty sponsor who will be available during Winter and Spring quarter.
- Students must be able to devote 10 hours a week to research.
- Students must complete all work assigned by their research mentors.
- Students must complete all PROPS assignments in a timely manner.
- Students must be prepared to present their research in a paper and poster format, as well as give a 10-minute presentation on their research.
- PROPS is open to juniors and seniors whose major is Psychology,Psychobiology, or Cognitive Science (including the three pre-majors).
- Although prior research experience is not required, students must identify an area of research interest.
- Minimum 3.0 UCLA GPA (3.2 or higher GPA in Psychology courses preferred).
- Students should have successfully completed introductory psychology, statistics (Psychology 100A), research methods (Psychology 100B), and at least one upper division Psychology course at UCLA or at another UC. Preference will be given to students who have attended UCLA for at least one year.
- This program is open to all underrepresented students (i.e. students who have demonstrated financial need, are first generation college students, member of an underrepresented minority in graduate education).
To Apply to PROPS
- We recommend that you attend one of the informational meetings held in October of each year (see dates below). At the meeting, you will have the opportunity to find out more about PROPS. You DO NOT have to attend an informational session to be eligible to apply. Both sessions will cover the same information.
Info Sessions will be held in 3324 Life Sciences Building on the following dates:
Friday, October 11: 1:00-1:30pm
Wednesday, October 16: 9:00-9:30am
- Check the Department of Psychology website to find areas of interest and faculty with whom you would be interested in working with. You can find faculty listings and research interests on the Psychology website.
- Submit an online application. Complete applications are due by 12pm on Tuesday, October 22. Please review all questions prior to beginning the application as there are several open-ended questions that you may want to prepare in advance for. Please keep in mind that you will have to complete the application in one sitting as you will not have the ability to save in-progress work or make updates once you submit.
If you have any questions about program eligibility or the application, you may also contact us at email@example.com.