PLEASE NOTE THAT CONTRACTS & SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS FOR THIS COURSE MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA EMAIL TO CONTRACTCOURSES@PSYCH.UCLA.EDU BY FRIDAY OF WEEK 1 OF THE QUARTER/SUMMER SESSION TO ENROLL.
Fieldwork in Cognitive Science-Psych 195B offers Cognitive Science majors the opportunity to work (paid OR non-paid) for course credit in a pre-approved fieldwork setting in the area of Cognitive Science. Students are required to work a minimum of 7 hours per week for the 10-week quarter (summer enrollees are required to work a minimum of 68 hours over the 6-week session) and attend a one-hour weekly meeting, arranged by the fieldwork supervisor. At the end of the quarter, students must ensure supervisors email the faculty advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) affirming the student has completed all of their hours. In addition, students must upload to BruinLearn a 5-8 page paper that describes the project they worked on and the work they completed. Finally, students will be required to present their work at a remote conference held through BruinLearn. They will create a 5 minute presentation video and share it with other students using the BruinLearn media gallery.
- Once you turn in your Psych 195B contract, you will be enrolled in 4 P/NP units of Fieldwork.
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing is required.
- Students must do the work in the same quarter in which the Fieldwork class is taken for credit.
- Only 12 units from any combination of courses 185, 192, 194, 195, 196 may be applied toward undergraduate degree.
- Psych 195B fulfills one quarter of the fieldwork/research requirement for Cognitive Science majors.
- Only one Fieldwork in Cognitive Science course can be taken in any quarter.
- Students continuing with the same Psych 195B fieldwork placement in future quarters must submit a new contract signed by the Fieldwork Site Supervisor to officially enroll in the course.
- Look through the fieldwork listings on our website and contact the Fieldwork Site Supervisor to secure your fieldwork placement a quarter before you are planning to enroll. You may only work with an organization that is listed on our website!
- If you want to work with an organization that is not listed on our website, please have your site supervisor fill out the Internship Position Placement form link above to begin the review process. Please note that these can take 5-10 business days to review.
- Fieldwork Internships can be paid or non-paid.
- New sites must be submitted for review before Week 1 – the department will not review new sites in the beginning of the quarter.
- Look through the fieldwork listings on our website and contact the Fieldwork Site Supervisor to secure your fieldwork placement a quarter before you are planning to enroll.
- Log on to your MyUCLA, click on CONTRACT COURSES on the left menu bar and follow the instructions for creating your Psych 195B contract.
- Enter Viyehni Fuchser as your Faculty Sponsor, but you do NOT need his signature.
- You do not need the Department Chair signature.
- Take the contract and supplementary supervisor contact form to your Fieldwork Site Supervisor for approval and to get their signature.
- Once you have the completed contract with the signature of your Fieldwork Supervisor, submit it to the Psych Advising Office by emailing the documents to email@example.com with your full name and UID. The deadline to submit the contract to the Psych Advising Office is Friday of Week 1. Visit your College Counseling Unit if you need approval to take more than 5 P/NP units or are planning to exceed 19 units for the quarter.
- Visit your College Counseling Unit if you need approval to take more than 5 P/NP units or are planning to exceed 19 units for the quarter.
- Last step is to check your MyUCLA Study List on Thursday of Week 2 to make sure you are properly enrolled in a total of 4 P/NP units. The deadline to make changes to your Study List without a late fee is Friday of Week 2.
Satisfying Course Requirements
You must work at least 68 hours at your internship. At the end of the quarter, your supervisor must email firstname.lastname@example.org a statement affirming that you have completed all 68 hours. It is your responsibility to ensure they send that email.
You must also submit a typed paper of at least 5 pages. The topic of the paper should be directly related to cognitive science and the internship project you worked on. Readers of your paper and viewers of your presentation should come away with an understanding of the kind of project you worked on, what specific work you completed, and how it relates to cognitive science. You may also discuss what you learned, how you may apply what you’ve learned to your future career, and the potential of future advancements in cognitive science to continue shaping work in the field in which you worked. You must turn in a copy of the paper to both your fieldwork supervisor and to BruinLearn (under the ‘assignments’ tab).
You must also create a video presenting the same information you wrote about in your paper. You will upload this video to BruinLearn (under the ‘assignments’ tab) and share it with your fellow students using the Media Gallery.
The grade of P or NP will be determined by Dr. Fuchser and the course TA once we have reviewed the materials submitted to BruinLearn and received an affirmation from the fieldwork supervisor indicating whether or not you have fulfilled the hour requirements.
The fieldwork supervisor will train and supervise the student. The supervisor will provide an initial orientation that includes an explanation of the organization’s overall purpose and operations and how they relate to the student. The supervisor will give feedback as to what is expected in order to give credit for the course, as well as conduct the one-hour weekly seminar and provide related materials. The supervisor will also evaluate the student’s performance upon completion of the course confirming that all course requirements have been fulfilled.
The last day to submit a completed Learning Contract to the Undergraduate Advising Office is Friday of Week 1.