Psychology 195A: Fieldwork in Psychology
PLEASE NOTE THAT CONTRACTS & SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS FOR THIS COURSE MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA EMAIL TO CONTRACTCOURSES@PSYCH.UCLA.EDU BY FRIDAY OF WEEK 1 OF THE QUARTER TO ENROLL.
Psych 195A (Fieldwork in Psychology) offers undergraduate students the opportunity to work (paid OR non-paid) in a pre-approved organization, that has a psychological or therapeutic orientation, and earn 4 units of upper division course credit. Students are required to work a minimum of 6 hours per week for the 10-week quarter and attend a two-hour weekly seminar, which meets every Friday 9:00am to 11:00am (online). Attendance during the entire seminar is mandatory. If you cannot attend the seminar for the full two hours, you may not enroll in this Fieldwork course. During the seminar, students are required to complete either a six to eight page typed library research paper or three two-page typed bi-weekly papers. This course is not offered during Summer Sessions. For Fall Quarter, we are only approving remote internships. Internships that involve in-person work must be petitioned for approval, and the site supervisor must provide reasoning as to why the work cannot be done remotely.
- Once you turn in your Psych 195A Contract, you will be enrolled in Psych 195A (2 units) and Psych 194A (2 units), for a total of 4 P/NP units.
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing is required.
- Students must do the work in the same quarter in which the Fieldwork class is taken for credit.
- Only 12 units from any combination of courses 185, 192, 194, 195, 196 may be applied toward undergraduate degree.
- The Fieldwork in Psychology course does not satisfy any major requirement for Psychology, Psychobiology, or Cognitive Science majors.
- Only one Fieldwork in Psychology course can be taken in any quarter.
- Students continuing with the same Psych 195A fieldwork placement in future quarters must submit a new contract signed by the Fieldwork Site Supervisor to officially in the course.
- Look through the fieldwork listings on our website and contact the Fieldwork Site Supervisor to secure your fieldwork placement a quarter before you are planning to enroll. You may only work with an organization that is listed on our website!
- If you want to work with an organization that is not listed on our website, please have your site supervisor fill out the Internship Position Placement form link above to begin the review process. Please note that these can take 5-10 business days to review.
- Fieldwork Internships can be paid or non-paid.
- The site must be located in or around the Los Angeles area.
- New sites must be submitted for review before Week 1 - the department will not review new sites in the beginning of the quarter.
- Log on to your MyUCLA, click on CONTRACT COURSES on the left menu bar and follow the instructions for creating your Psych 195A Contract.
- Enter Barbara Knowlton as your Faculty Sponsor, but you do not need her signature.
- You do not need the Department Chair's signature.
- Take the contract and supplementary supervisor contact form to your Fieldwork Site Supervisor for approval and to get their signature.
- Once you have the completed contract with the signature of your Fieldwork Supervisor, submit it to the Psych Advising Office by emailing the documents to email@example.com with your full name and UID. The deadline to submit the contract to the Psych Advising Office is Friday of Week 1. Visit your College Counseling Unit if you need approval to take more than 5 P/NP units or are planning to exceed 19 units for the quarter.
- Finally, check your MyUCLA Study List on Thursday of Week 2 to make sure you are properly enrolled in a total of 4 P/NP units: Psych 195A (2 units) & Psych 194A (2 units). The deadline to make changes to your Study List without a late fee is Friday of Week 2.
Satisfying Course Requirements
The grade of P/NP will be determined by the Psych Advising Office once we have received a report that all work has been completed in the weekly Friday seminar and through the Evaluation of Student report from your fieldwork supervisor, indicating whether or not you have completed all hours and fulfilled all course requirements.
The fieldwork supervisor will train and supervise the student. The supervisor will provide an initial orientation that includes an explanation of the organization's overall purpose and operations and how they relate to the student. The supervisor will give feedback as to what is expected in order to give credit for the course and provide related materials. The supervisor will also evaluate the student's performance upon completion of the course confirming that all course requirements have been fulfilled.
The Two-Hour Weekly Seminar
The two-hour weekly seminar is to be held every Friday from 9:00am to 11:00am. Attendance is mandatory.
The last day to submit a completed Learning Contract to the Undergraduate Advising Office is Friday of Week 1.