Frequently Asked Questions

About Psychology Advising

Where is the Psych Advising Office located?

We’re located in Franz 1531. It’s the tower across from the Inverted Fountain. Enter from the courtyard side, not the fountain side.

How do I know who my Psych Advisor is?

You will not be assigned to a specific advisor. Our staff consists of 6 advisors who take turns advisors during our regular hours. We keep records of our sessions, so any one of us can assist you with your specific situation.

How do I schedule an appointment?

You may schedule an appointment to see a counselor by stopping by the Psychology Advising Office or calling us at (310) 825-2730. We schedule appointment up to one week in advance and also provide drop-in advising between the hours of 9:00am and 11:45am and again from 1:00pm until 3:45pm. It is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Appointment are usually in 30 minute increments between 9:00am-11:30am and 1:00pm and 3:30pm. 

When is the best time to come for counseling?

Coming in at 9:00 or 1:00 will guarantee you an appointment with a reasonable wait time.

Is there a wait to see a advisor?

Sometimes. The wait depends on the number of students who are ahead of you and how long their appointments take. We usually have two advisors advising at once. Appointments can take anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes. An approximate wait time will be provided by the front desk staff.

Why does the Advising Office use a pager system?

We no longer have a waiting room in our office and, for privacy reasons, students may not wait at the front desk area. We will give you a pager in exchange for your BruinCard and ask you to sit in the courtyard or tower lobby. When the counselor is ready to see you, they will page you in and return your BruinCard.

What if I have questions outside of advising hours?

Our entire staff is able to answer questions that don’t require reviewing your records. If you have a general question outside of advising hours, please ask the the front desk staff. Our office is almost always open between 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:30, Monday through Friday.

About Course Enrollment

How are enrollment appointments assigned?

Students are given appointment times based on the number of units they have. Keep in mind that some students enter UCLA with AP units, so just because you’re in your fourth or fifth year doesn’t mean you have the most units.

How do I know which Psych classes I’m eligible to enroll in?

In the Schedule of Classes, read the “Course Info” option listed with each course. It will outline several details including who can enroll and when.

What is the difference between a prerequisite and an enrollment restriction?

The Prerequisites listed with certain UCLA courses are suggested courses that should be taken before enrolling in that particular course. You should adhere to these guidelines if you plan to do well in the course. URSA does not necessarily bar you from a class because a prerequisite has not been met.

An Enforced Requisite means that you cannot enroll in a course without having taken the prerequisite.

An Enrollment Restriction is based on class standing and major standing. An example would be a course that is restricted during the first pass to Seniors with Psychology and Psychobiology standing only.

Why does the Psych Dept. restrict many of their upper division courses?

Space is limited. Our priority is to get as many of the graduating, or near-graduating students into the core and lab courses first, allowing other students to enroll later if space permits.

What if the classes I want are full?

You will need to keep your eye on the enrollment shown on MyUCLA or the Schedule of Classes. If it opens, enroll yourself. If it doesn’t open, you won’t be able to take that class during that term.

Why doesn’t the Psych Dept give out PTE numbers for closed classes?

The Department of Psychology has approximately 3,000 majors, many of whom have the same needs and concerns. Our department relies on My.UCLAto keep students in order, ensuring that enrollment is kept fair and on a first come, first serve basis. A PTE overrides this system. We will not issue a PTE number to override what we rely on URSA to do for us.

I need to take a class, but I’m not eligible to enroll yet… but I fear that it will close before I can get it. Can the Psych Advisors make an exception?

No, we don’t make exceptions to our rules. If you aren’t yet eligible to enroll in a class, you’ll need to wait until you are. If you miss out on a course, you’ll have to take it during a different quarter. It is your responsibility to properly plan your schedule to ensure timely graduation. However, several problems can be avoided if you meet with a counselor early on.

About The Psychology Majors

What is the purpose of the pre-majors?

Psych students must complete all preparation courses before declaring their Psychology, Psychobiology, or Cognitive Science majors. Pre-major status means that you have demonstrated the ability to pursue a Psych Dept. major. Pre-major status is required for enrollment in Psychology 100A and 100B.

How do I become a pre-major?

As a student who entered as a freshman, you will need to come into the Psychology Undergraduate Advising to speak with an advisor to discuss your eligibility. 

As a transfer student, you should have been admitted as a pre-psychology, pre-psychobiology, or pre-cognitive science major. If you were not, you may not be eligible to pursue these majors at UCLA. You should inquire with an advisor in the Psychology Advising Office.

How do I switch from pre-major standing to major standing?

Once you have completed all of your prep courses with the required grades, you must fill out a petition in the Psych Advising Office to declare the major.  Pre-Psychology majors who entered as freshmen must complete the online application to apply for major standing.

How will I know if my petition has been approved?

The results of all petitions are communicated through MyUCLA. After logging on, please select the “Petitions” link on the left to view all of your UCLA petitions and their results.

I was approved but my My.UCLA front page still says “Pre-Psych.” Why?

Your MyUCLA front page updates only once a quarter. The major listed on your DPR is the one that you are declared. If it’s wrong, please come into the Psych Advising Office to resolve this.

Who is my “College Counselor?”

If you are in College Honors, the Academic Advancement Program (AAP), or UCLA Athletics, you have been assigned a special counseling unit to advise your special needs. If you are not part of one of these groups, your College Counseling Unit is College Academic Counseling (CAC), located in A316 Murphy Hall.

Can I talk to the professor about getting into the course? Will he/she make an exception?

Psych professors work closely with our staff when creating the enrollment cap for their courses. They, too, rely on My.UCLA to do its job, letting in the students with the highest needs first. Professors do not make the decisions on which students can be added into their classes. Professors simply tell our staff to let in the students on the wait list and close the class. In some cases, when space permits, a professor will allow the enrollment cap to increase. They usually announce this possibility during the first class.

Why did the professor tell us to go to the Psychology Advising Office if we weren’t enrolled in the course?

In short, the professors prefer that we, the advisors, explain enrollment policies to ensure that they are properly communicated.

It’s Week 1 and there’s no one on the wait list for a class I need, but My.UCLA won’t allow me to enroll! Why?

Look at the total number of students enrolled in the class. It’s possible that with a cap of 300, there are 320. This means that the professor has requested the wait-listed students be let in and the class be closed, assuming that approximately 20 students will drop the course by the end of week two. Just because there are no longer students on the wait list, doesn’t mean the wait list is open for further enrollment. This basically means that it’s too late to add the course.

I have a Priority Pass, not a First Pass. How do I get into 100B if it’s closed during Priority?

This isn’t exactly true. If you have a Priority Pass, you still have a First Pass. Between these two passes you can enroll in up to 10 units. Only enroll in a 4 unit course on your Priority Pass date. Save 6 units for Psych 100B to enroll in on your First Pass date.

I’m a Psychobiology major (or pre-major) and the requirement worksheet says I can take courses in other departments to fulfill my elective requirements, but I can’t get into a class on the list because the other department won’t let me. Why is this?

Each department governs the enrollment of its own courses. The courses listed on the major sheets are courses that are accepted for Psychobiology electives, but this does not ensure that these classes will be offered when you want or need them. It also doesn’t guarantee that that particular department will have room to accommodate your enrollment. If you are concerned about enrollment in a course outside of the Psych Dept., you will need to speak with a counselor in that course’s department to discuss their enrollment restrictions.