Web hosting services are available for a variety of purposes.
The Psychology Department website is hosted jointly by Psychology and Life Sciences Computing. The site uses a content management system which allows several staff members the ability to update content on the site. To request access to edit the department website, please submit a helpdesk request.
Department faculty members and lab groups may request websites in our WordPress environment. Our WordPress sites take advantage of UCLA Logon and campus web templates to simplify the administrative tasks of maintaining a website. Existing websites can be moved to WordPress or we can create new WordPress sites.
In addition to the department site, faculty members may request web space for their own research labs in the “psych.ucla.edu” domain. Such web space is assigned to and managed by faculty members or their designated webmaster for the duration of their time at UCLA. Faculty members may submit a helpdesk request to discuss options for web space for their labs.
Setting up the domain name and creating accounts with proper permissions will be done by our department web developer, but creation and day-to-day maintenance of lab websites is done by the lab webmaster. In determining the kind of website and features that are wanted, we recommend that the lab webmaster have the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to create links and do basic image editing for the web (crop, rotate, resize)
- Understanding of FTP/SFTP and familiarity with one more FTP clients (Filezilla, CuteFTP, Fetch)
- Familiarity with file naming best practices
- Experience converting Office docs and other files to PDFs
- Basic Unix/Linux commands (cd, pwd, ls, cp, mv, rm, cat, grep, vi/emacs)
- Understanding of file permissions on Unix/Linux systems (chmod)