Tuition, State Residency, Application Fees, Deferrals, and Waivers
- Residents of California: $5,758 per quarter
- Nonresidents of California (Out-of-State & International): $10,792 per quarter
UCLA operates on the quarter system: Fall, Winter, and Spring. Registration cost is based not on per unit or hour charges, but on a fixed quarterly amount. The above figures include the cost of mandatory health insurance. Amounts are subject to change.
Students wishing to qualify as California residents must be physically present in the state (and intend to make California a permanent home) for one year prior to the beginning of their entering term. Indications of California residency include: registering and voting in California elections; designation of California as permanent address on all school and employment records, obtaining a California I.D. or driver's license; obtaining California vehicle registration; and paying California income tax as a resident. For more detailed information, please click on the following link: www.registrar.ucla.edu/Fees-Residence/Residence-Requirements. Further inquiries regarding residency requirements may be addressed to the Residence Deputy, Office of the Registrar, 1113 Murphy Hall, Box 951429, Los Angeles, California 90095-1429. (310) 825-3447.
APPLICATION FEES, FEE DEFERRALS AND FEE WAIVERS
$120.00: U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents
$140.00: All other applicants
The application fee is devoted to the administrative cost of processing all applications received, and is not refundable under any circumstances, regardless of the outcome, the date of filing, time of review, or if, for whatever the reason, the application is withdrawn.
Waivers of the $120.00 application fee are available for applicants who a) participate(d) in one of these programs or b) demonstrate financial need as described below.
Participants in the following programs are eligible for fee waivers. In the application, on the Fee Waiver page, select one or more of the programs in which you participated and upload a letter verifying your program participation. You may also send the letter directly to email@example.com after you submit the application. You will be contacted if your fee is not waived with further instructions.
- American Political Science Association Ralph Bunche Summer Institute Scholars
- California Alliance for Minority Participation (CAMP) Applicants
- California State University (CSU) Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholars Program Applicants
- Florida A and M University Graduate Feeder Scholars Program (FMAU GFSP) Applicants
- Gates Millennium Scholar
- Guardian Scholars
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Applicants
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Applicants
- McNair Scholars (McNair)
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF)
- Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS) Applicants
- MSTP (UCLA) participants
- National GEM Consortium
- Research Initiative for Science Enhancement (MBRS RISE) Applicants
- STAR (UCLA) participants
- UC Leadership through Advanced Degrees (UC LEADS) Applicants
- UC Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) Applicants
- UC-HBCU Initiative
Or sponsored by one or more of these agencies:
- GEM Scholar
- Public Policy and International Affairs Fellowship Program (PPIA)
- BNU-GSEIS Collaboration
Need-based Fee Waivers
Waivers of UCLA's application fee are available for U.S. citizens, Permanent Residents and others who meet the following criteria:
Are currently enrolled in a college or university
Receive need-based financial aid (if not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, this financial aid must come from the state of California)
Submit a statement from their Financial Aid officer confirming all of the above and stating that payment of UCLA's $120.00 application fee would be a financial hardship.
If you meet all of these criteria, select Fee Waiver in the application, upload the statement from your Financial Aid officer and submit the application.
Do not submit income tax returns, unemployment documents, copies of your FAFSA Expected Family Contribution or other financial estimates; these cannot be accepted as documentation of eligibility for a fee waiver.