Psychology 196B: Research in Cognitive Science
Psych 196B (Assistantship in Cognitive Science) offers Cognitive Science majors the opportunity to assist Psychology Department faculty members and graduate students who are conducting research in the area of Cognitive Science. To receive credit for Research in Cognitive Science course, students are required to work (non-paid) a minimum of 7 hours per week for the 10-week quarter (Summer enrollees are required to work a minimum of 68 hours over the 6-week session) and attend a one-hour weekly meeting, arranged by the faculty sponsor. A five to eight page typed research paper is also required. Students will be required to present their quarter-long work and paper to their faculty sponsor and lab members in a research group meeting.
- Once you turn in your Psych 196B Contract, you will be enrolled in 4 P/NP units of Research. Depending on your lab group size, you will be enrolled in one of the following options: (1) Psych 196B – 4 units or (2) Psych 194C – 1 unit & Psych 196B – 3 units.
- To receive credit for the course, you MUST be enrolled in a total of 4 units on a P/NP basis.
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing is required.
- Students must do the work in the same quarter that this research course is taken for credit.
- Only 12 units from any combination of courses 185, 192, 194, 195, 196 may be applied toward undergraduate degree.
- Research in Cognitive Science fulfills one quarter of the fieldwork/research requirement for the Cognitive Science majors.
- Students continuing with the same research project in future quarters must submit a new Contract and enroll in the course.
- Look through the research listings on our website and contact the professor, post doc, or graduate student to secure your research placement.
- Log on to your MyUCLA and click on CONTRACT COURSES on the left menu bar.
- Follow the instructions to create your Psych 196B contract & take it to the Professor for approval and signature.
- You do NOT need the Department Chair’s signature.
- Once you have the completed contract, submit it to the Psych Advising Office in 1531 Franz Hall. The deadline to submit the contract to Psych Advising Office is Friday of Week 1.
- Visit your College Counseling Unit if you need approval to take more than 5 P/NP units or are planning to exceed 19 units for the quarter.
- Last step is to check your MyUCLA Study List on Thursday of Week 2 to make sure you are properly enrolled in a total of 4 P/NP units with the correct Professor. The deadline to make changes to your Study List without a late fee is Friday of Week 2.
A typed paper of at least five pages and three references is required. The topic of the paper must be directly related to the project you are working on. A satisfactory paper demonstrates that you have researched the topic, organized and integrated the information, and linked the research activities to the topic. You must turn in a copy of the research paper to your faculty sponsor by Friday of Finals Week and also email a copy of your paper to Giselle Abalos (email@example.com) in the Psych Advising Office. Research papers will be posted to the Psychology Department website at the end of each academic year.
Psych 196B Research Papers
The following research papers are written by undergraduate students as part of the capstone requirement for the Cognitive Science major.
Faculty Sponsor’s Responsibilities
The faculty sponsor must be a regular faculty member in the Psychology Department. Post Docs and Graduate Students may guide the Research in Psychology students in research projects only under the supervision of a regular faculty member. Sponsors should lead a one-hour weekly seminar or lab meeting, provide written feedback to the student on their research paper, and evaluate the student at the end of the quarter. Sponsors are also responsible for disseminating departmental information and regulations regarding running subjects, otherwise they risk their project being banned from the use of the subject pool.
Deadline to submit your Learning Contract to the Psych Advising Office is Friday of Week 1.